Monday, July 29, 2013

Reviews: Best Bite I Ate...#CurvyBites

Last week was a CRAZY one, I was running around entertaining clients, hosting and planning Simply Be USA's #NYFallPreview event and generally on the run.  As a result I had some great and pretty indulgent meals last week.

People are always asking me about what restaurants to try and thankfully my Yelp! reviews offer some insight in to where to go, but then even after all that, people are clamoring to know--well what do YOU like.

Without further ado, here are the best #CurvyBites of (last) week:



#3
Coconut Rice, The Hurricane Club
Hood: Flatiron/Nomad

I planned the menu for the Simply Be event after spending WAY too much time reading reviews of the food. While everything I ate was great (the cashew chicken and fish were particularly outstanding) the coconut rice, got reordered again and again.  Perfectly sweet, stick and indulgent, and served in a hollowed out coconut, this rice is the perfect creamy accompaniment to the rich food, but it is so good, I'd come eat a bowl of it...by itself....for dinner.

#2
Shackburger (double), Shake Shack
Hood: Downtown Brooklyn

What do you want after a VERY long week spent logging in 12-14 hour days? A burger and a beer with your bestie, that's what.  Thanks to a Shake Shack that I could walk to (if i wanted to take a long leisurely stroll) I did just that.  While I am STILL partial to the In n Out (sue me, its the taste of childhood for me, ok?) this double patty monster, was probably too much---really great flavor, perfectly cooked--they weren't stingy on the cheese--even without my grilled onions this bite left me satisfied.

#1
Tuesday July 23rd Special, The Breslin
Hood: Flatiron/Nomad

Let me just say I love the food at The Breslin, every time I come I end up having a great time.  The fun decor, the energy of the Ace Hotel Lobby bar (where I've seen the likes of LL Cool J and Questlove) and the simple yet complicated menu make it a great place to take wanna be foodies, Food Network stans and people you want to impress in an unpretentious way.

We went with me promising The Best Thing I Ever Ate lamb burger to my UK friends, and that's just what we would have gotten, if only....If only we hadn't walked in while the servers were oohinng, and licking their lips as the staff was tasting the special entree for the evening.

The server literally couldn't contain her excitement to tell us what was on the menu special that evening.  Duck breast with a sweet and sour cherry glaze, served with a homemade duck sausage, fingerlings and grilled green onions. Ummm, so where do I sign up? $32? Who cares--I am WATCHING them cook this from my seat and the care she is taking making this, let's me know I MUST have this.

Best bites of the week!

Duck was cooked PERFECTLY, the sausage spiced wonderfully the glaze served to tie it all together and was neither too acidic or too sweet and the fingerlings gave the dish a nice bit of earthiness to ground it out.

Lesson learned, in an April Bloomfield restaurant--f-what the Food network told ya--order the special.

Tell me which of these bites, sounds the best to you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment